The Absa L’Atelier art competition is one of Africa’s most prestigious art competitions, and 2019 sees the 34th iteration of the competition. The art competition is hosted annually by Absa in partnership with the South African National Association for the Visual Arts (SANAVA).
The Absa L’Atelier art competition rewards young visual artists, aged 21 to 40, with the opportunity to develop their talents abroad. This is clearly evidenced by the previous winners and the benefits and experience they attained by participating.
Artists who are citizens and permanent residents of Botswana, Ghana, Kenya, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, the Seychelles, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, and Zambia and who reside in the above countries, are eligible to participate in the Absa L’Atelier art competition and are hereby invited to enter.
Sponsors of the Gerard Sekoto Award
- Alliance Française in South Africa
- French Embassy in South Africa
- Institut Français Afrique du Sud
- Artists are permitted one single entry
- This entry submission needs to be a portfolio of artworks
- The entry submission should consist of a minimum of four, and a maximum of five different artworks making up their portfolio entry
- Adjudication is done on the entry which consists of the portfolio of artworks
- All entries must be submitted through the online portal
- The portal opens for uploading of entries on the Absa L’Atelier website on 4 April 2019
- All entries close on 31 May 2019 at 16:00 (CAT)
- No late submissions will be accepted
- Adjudication is done through the online portal
- A total of ten (10) images may be uploaded showcasing the artist’s entry
- It is essential when registering online and uploading your artwork that all fields are completed. Failure to complete all fields will result in your entry been disqualified
- Any artist aged 21 to 40 years of age may enter the competition
- All previous entrants will be required to re-register on the portal
There are four prizes for the 2019 competition: the main prize for the winner of each Group; and the Gerard Sekoto Award for a South African entrant that continues to demonstrate growth in their art production.
As per the draw held on the 4th of April 2019, the countries competing against one another in Group A, B and C are as follow.
For more details on the Absa L’Atelier art competition, kindly contact Dr Paul Bayliss at firstname.lastname@example.org or Visit www.lateliercompetition.com
For further information on SANAVA, visit www.sanava.co.za