Ford Motor Company of Southern Africa (FMCSA) has introduced its versatile new 2018 Tourneo Custom, which delivers first-class travel in an extensively revised and more premium interior.
The 2018 Tourneo Custom gets an ‘all-new’ cabin and a host of new technology, while the existing model line-up will be joined by efficient new Econetic and plug-in hybrid electric variants. The Econetic boasts an official fuel economy figure of nearly 50mpg, while the Transit Custom PHEV (that’s Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle) promises several miles of emissions free driving yet the ability to refuel at any petrol station.
The new Transit Custom is said to be even more suitable for use as a mobile office.
- Fancier models get a ‘floating’ iPad-style 8.0-inch touchscreen central display in place of the pokey little monitor in current versions.
- It runs Ford’s Sync 3 infotainment system.
- Features pinch and swipe control capability.
- As well as Apple CarPlay and Android Auto in addition to sat-nav,
- Bluetooth and DAB radio.
- Pre-Collision Assist with Pedestrian Detection – an autonomous emergency braking (AEB) system that recognises people as well as cars
- Lane Keeping Assist – warns you if you’re veering out of lane
- Side Wind Stabilisation – corrects for cross winds.
- Adaptive Cruise Control.
- It is rated to carry a gross payload of 915kg.
- It can tow a 750kg unbraked trailer or up to 1 400kg in the case of a braked trailer.
- It carries over the three 2.0-litre EcoBlue turbodiesel engines from the current model
- Storage improvements mean there’s now up to 25 litres of storage in the dashboard
- The glovebox can hold A4-size hanging files in its lower compartment, which should prove handy for keeping track of job sheets.
|2.2 TDCi LWB Ambiente 74kW 6MT||R546 000|
|2.2 TDCi LWB Trend 92kW 6MT||R567 300|
All models come standard with Ford Protect, comprising a 4-year or 120 000km comprehensive warranty, 3-year or unlimited distance roadside assistance and 5-year or unlimited km corrosion warranty. A 6-year/90 000km service plan is included, with 15 000km service intervals.